Monday, November 10, 2014

Greeted by a Familiar Face

After nearly 24 hours of traveling and multiple layovers, it made all the difference in the world to see a familiar face at the Suvarnabhumi Airport.  That face belongs to my dear friend Nam.  I met her when I was a junior in high school, and she was an exchange student.  I remember one November day we were sitting in math class and it began snowing.  Gazing out the window, Nam's eyes got about as big as saucers.  She excitedly asked if we could go outside for a minute because she had never seen snow before.  Our teacher obliged, and she went twirling around the school courtyard.  It's one of my favorite memories of our time in the states together.  And now I'm looking forward to having more adventures with her!

My fancy-looking visa

     That first day, Nam and her mom drove me to their house in the humid Bangkok air.  Her mum is so kind!  She was especially kind to brave the Bangkok traffic to come get me; they might as well not paint on lane lines-- people don't follow them anyway!  Once we arrived safely at the family house, we went to the morning market just down the street.  New sights and sounds greeted me at every turn.  We picked up some fresh papaya (malago), pork (mu), and sticky rice with mango (khao niaw ma-muang).  It was so fun to, in some ways, complete the circle of cultural exchange between Nam and myself that we began eight years ago.  Of course there is lots more to learn and explore!


Nam perusing the market

Dinner out and a trip to the night market with Nam and her boyfriend, Ben


No comments:

Post a Comment